Have you ever wondered what the chances of an intruder breaking in to your home are?
New crime statistics highlighting burglary hotspots were released recently, showing some startling results.
Whilst London appears to be the worst hotspot in the UK for burglaries, Manchester suburbs of Chorlton and Barlow Moor have been named areas with the highest concentrations burglaries per 1000 occupants during 2014 outside of London.
Home Insurance Statistics
The figures have been compiled by leading insurance companies based on claims they have received rather than official Government data. The common mistake many people make is associating burglary hotspots with poorer parts of the country. The fact is burglars are more likely to target a prosperous urban area, a privilege that comes with higher associated insurance costs.
How are homes vulnerable?
The most common point of entry on a property is forced entry through a front door or back door. By fitting more secure doors and windows, insurance companies can often lower the cost of home insurance, as the home is considered more secure.
Ways to improve the security of your home
A break-in can be a devastating incident where the victim can suffer far more than just material loss. Make sure the appropriate safety measures are put in place for you and your family’s safety and peace of mind. Measures such as installing new composites doors such as a Rockdoor (front and back) will stop burglars in their tracks. Even the Police can’t break down Rockdoors due to their inner strength and security thanks to a combination of multipoint locks, internal reinforcing and press glazed technology. Whilst composite doors go a long way to ensuring your homes security often acting as the last line of defence, they should not be considered the complete solution. Other measures which can be installed to deter burglars include security lighting, intruder alarms and high security windows.
Top 20 burglary hotspots are...
1. RM8 Dagenham, Becontree, Becontree Heath
2. IG2 Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Aldborough Hatch (Ilford)
3. M21 Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Barlow Moor
4. DN2 Intake, Wheatley, Wheatley Hills
5. E18 Woodford and South Woodford
6. RM11 Hornchurch, Emerson Park, Ardleigh Green
7. TW11 Teddington, Fulwell (east), Bushy Park
8. BD2 Eccleshill, Five Lane Ends, parts of Undercliffe, Fagley, Wrose, Bolton Woods, Poplars Farm, Swain House, Ashbourne
9. EN4 Hadley Wood, Cockfosters, East Barnet, New Barnet
10. IG3 Seven Kings, Goodmayes, Hainault, Chigwell
11. BD18 Saltaire, Shipley, Windhill, Wrose
12. W4 Chiswick, Gunnersbury, Turnham Green, Acton Green, Bedford Park
13. TW5 Heston, North Cranford, West Osterley
14. IG8 Woodford Green, Woodford Bridge, Highams Park
15. LS28 Bagley, Calverley, Farsley, Pudsey, Stanningley (Pudsey)
16. BR5 West Wickham
17. UB6 Greenford, Perivale
18. UB4 North Hayes, Yeading
19. N11 New Southgate, Friern Barnet, Bounds Green, Arnos Grove
20. LS15 Austhorpe, Barwick-in-Elmet, Colton, Cross Gates, Halton, Halton Moor, Manston, Pendas Fields, Scholes, Temple Newsam, Whitkirk
Having a Rockdoor protecting your family has never been so important.